Regular price $16.95 CAD
About this book
Airstream Land Yacht
From the author of the award-winning The Sisters Brothers comes a dark, boozy, and hilarious tale from the LA underworld.
A nameless barman tends a decaying bar in Hollywood and takes notes for a book about his clientele. Initially, he is morbidly amused by watching the regulars roll in and fall into their nightly oblivion, pitying them and their loneliness. In hopes of uncovering their secrets and motives, he establishes tentative friendships with them. He also knocks back pills indiscriminately and treats himself to gallons of Jameson's. But as his tenure at the bar continues, he begins to lose himself, trapped by addiction and indecision. When his wife leaves him, he embarks on a series of squalidly random sexual encounters and a downward spiral of self-damage and irrational violence. To cleanse himself and save his soul, he attempts to escape . . .
About the Author
Ken Babstock is one of Canada's finest poets. He lives in Toronto, Ontario.
Awards and Praise
- Long-listed ReLit Awards - Poetry, 2007
- Short-listed Griffin Poetry Prize, 2007
- Short-listed Governor General's Literary Awards: Poetry, 2006
- Winner Trillium Book Award for Poetry, 2007
- Short-listed Winterset Award for Excellence in Newfoundland Writing, 2007