Regular price $16.95 CAD
About this book
Nadia L. Hohn • Irene Luxbacher
It’s Carnival time. The first Carnival since Malaika’s mother moved to Canada to find a good job and provide for Malaika and her grandmother. Her mother promised she would send money for a costume, but when the money doesn’t arrive, will Malaika still be able to dance in the parade?
Disappointed and upset at her grandmother’s hand-me-down costume, Malaika leaves the house, running into Ms. Chin, the tailor, who offers Malaika a bag of scrap fabric. With her grandmother’s help, Malaika creates a patchwork rainbow peacock costume, and dances proudly in the parade.
A heartwarming story about family, community and the celebration of Carnival, Nadia Hohn’s warm and colloquial language and Irene Luxbacher’s vibrant collage-style illustrations make this a strikingly original picture book.
Awards and Praise
- Commended USBBY's Outstanding International Books List, 2017
- Commended Bank Street College of Education Best Children's Books of the Year, 2017
- Winner Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario Children's Literature Award, 2016
- Commended OLA Best Bets Honourable Mention, 2016
- Commended CCBC Best Books for Children and Teens, starred selection, 2016
- Runner-up Américas Award Honorable Mention, 2017
- Commended School Library Journal Best Picture Books, 2016