About this book
JonArno Lawson • Sydney Smith
Winner of the Governor General's Literary Award for Children's Illustrated Book
A New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book of the Year
In this wordless picture book, a little girl collects wildflowers while her distracted father pays her little attention. Each flower becomes a gift, and whether the gift is noticed or ignored, both giver and recipient are transformed by their encounter.
“Written” by award-winning poet JonArno Lawson and brought to life by illustrator Sydney Smith, Sidewalk Flowers is an ode to the importance of small things, small people and small gestures.
About the Creators
A four-time winner of the Lion and the Unicorn Award for Excellence in North American Children’s Poetry, JonArno Lawson is the author of numerous books for children and adults. He lives in Toronto with his wife and three children.
Sydney Smith was born and educated in Nova Scotia, Canada. He graduated from NSCAD University and has since illustrated children’s books for multiple authors and received awards for his illustrations, including the Lillian Shepard Memorial Award for Excellence in Illustration. Sydney lives and works in Toronto.
Awards and Praise
- Commended National Post Best Books of the Year, 2015
- Commended New York Public Library Best 100 Books for Reading and Sharing, 2015
- Commended Globe 100 Best Books, 2015
- Commended New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books of the Year, 2015
- Commended 49th Shelf Favourite Picture Books of the Year, 2015
- Commended NCTE Charlotte Huck Award for Outstanding Fiction for Children, Recommended Book, 2015
- Winner Cybils Award, Fiction Picture Book, 2015
- Long-listed Goodreads Choice Award for Best Picture Book, 2015
- Winner Governor General's Literary Award for Children's Illustrated Books, 2015
- Commended Horn Book Fanfare, 2015