About this book
Walk with Me
Jairo Buitrago • Rafael Yockteng • Elisa Amado
A simple, imaginative story depicting the complex emotional reality of a girl whose father no longer lives at home.
The girl conjures up an imaginary companion — a lion — who will join her on the long walk home from school. He will help her to pick up her baby brother from daycare and shop at the store (which has cut off the family’s credit), and he’ll keep her company all along the way until she is safely home. He will always come back when she needs him, unlike her father whom she sees only in a photograph — a photograph in which he clearly resembles a lion.
About the Creators
Jairo Buitrago is a children’s book author who has collaborated with Rafael Yockteng on several picture books. Their books have been included on IBBY’s Honor List, in the White Ravens Catalogue (Germany) and on Banco del Libro’s “Los mejores libros del año” / Best Books of the Year (Venezuela).
Rafael Yockteng has illustrated a number of children's books, which have been published in Colombia and abroad. He lives in Bogotá, Colombia.
Elisa Amado is a Guatemalan-born author and translator. Her books have been on the Américas Award Commended List and on USBBY's Outstanding International Books List. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.
Awards and Praise
- Commended New York Public Library Best Books for Kids, 2017
- Commended Cooperative Children's Book Center Best of the Year, 2018
- Commended Denver Public Library Best Children's & Teen Books, 2017
- Commended School Library Journal Best Books, 2017
- Commended Kirkus Best Picture Books, 2017
- Commended ALSC Notable Children's Books, 2018
- Short-listed Kirkus Prize, 2017