About this book
JonArno Lawson • Sydney SmithEducator's Guide ↓
Winner of the Governor General's Literary Award for Children's Illustrated Book
A New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book of the Year
In this wordless picture book, a little girl collects wildflowers while her distracted father pays her little attention. Each flower becomes a gift, and whether the gift is noticed or ignored, both giver and recipient are transformed by their encounter.
“Written” by award-winning poet JonArno Lawson and brought to life by illustrator Sydney Smith, Sidewalk Flowers is an ode to the importance of small things, small people and small gestures.
About the Creators
JonArno Lawson’s internationally acclaimed picture book Sidewalk Flowers won the Governor General’s Literary Award and was named a New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Book, among many other accolades. He is a four-time winner of the Lion and the Unicorn Award for Excellence in North American Children’s Poetry and the author of numerous books for children and adults. JonArno lives in Toronto with his wife and three children.
Sydney Smith was born in rural Nova Scotia and has been drawing from an early age. Since graduating from NSCAD University, he has illustrated numerous children’s books, including the highly acclaimed wordless picture book Sidewalk Flowers, conceived by Jon Arno Lawson, which won a Governor General’s Award, among many other honours, and was named a New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Book. He is also the illustrator of Town Is by the Sea by Joanne Schwartz, for which he was awarded the Kate Greenaway Medal, and which won the TD Canadian Children’s Literature Prize. Small in the City is the first picture book that Sydney has written as well as illustrated. He lives and works in Toronto with his wife and son.
Awards and Praise
- Commended IBBY Outstanding Books for Young People with Disabilities, 2017
- Winner Michigan Library Association Mitten Award, 2016
- Commended Horn Book Fanfare, 2015
- Commended New York Public Library Best 100 Books for Reading and Sharing, 2015
- Long-listed Goodreads Choice Award for Best Picture Book, 2015
- Short-listed CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal, 2016
- Commended New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books of the Year, 2015
- Commended Publishers Weekly Best Books of the Year, 2015
- Commended ALA Notable Children's Book, 2016
- Commended TD Summer Reading Club Top Recommended Reads, 2016