About this book
A Family Is a Family Is a Family
Sara O'Leary • Qin Leng
When a teacher asks the children in her class to think about what makes their families special, the answers are all different in many ways — but the same in the one way that matters most of all.
One child is worried that her family is just too different to explain, but listens as her classmates talk about what makes their families special. One is raised by a grandmother, and another has two dads. One has many stepsiblings, and another has a new baby in the family.
As her classmates describe who they live with and who loves them — family of every shape, size and every kind of relation — the child realizes that as long as her family is full of caring people, it is special.
A warm and whimsical look at many types of families, written by award-winning author Sara O’Leary, with quirky and sweet illustrations by Qin Leng.
Awards and Praise
- Short-listed Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Children's Book Award, 2017
- Commended USBBY's Outstanding International Books List, 2017
- Commended Bank Street College of Education Best Children's Books of the Year, 2017
- Commended CBC Best Books of 2016, 2016
- Commended OLA Best Bets Top Ten, 2016
- Commended Toronto Public Library's First and Best List, 2016