About this book
The Cocalero Novels
USBBY Oustanding International Books selection
After he finally manages to escape from being a virtual slave in an illegal cocaine operation, Diego is taken in by the Ricardo family -- poor coca farmers who provide a safe haven while he recovers from his ordeal in the jungle. But even that brief respite comes to an end when the army moves in and destroys the family's coca crop -- and their livelihood.
Diego eventually joins the cocaleros as they protest the destruction of their crops by barricading the roads, confronting the army head on. As tension between the cocaleros builds to a dramatic standoff, the wonders whether he will ever find a way to return to his family.
Awards and Praise
- Commended USBBY Outstanding International Books, 2008
- Commended Americas Award Commended List, 2008
- Commended CCBC Choices 2008, 2008
- Commended Horace mann Upstanders Book Award, 2008
- Commended CCBC Best Books for Kids &Teens 2008, 2008
- Commended National Post's Top New Books, 2007
- Long-listed CLA Book of the Year for Children Award, 2007
- Commended Quill & Quire Books of the Year 2007 List, 2007