About this book
Mary Ann Alice
Winner of the IODE National Chapter Award, and a Horn Book Fanfare Top Ten List selection
In this brillant and poetic novel, Brian Doyle returns to the Gatineau River near Ottawa, the world of his novels Up to Low and Uncle Ronald.
Mary Ann Alice McCrank was named for the pretty church bell in the steeple of St. Martin's Church in the Martindale. She has the soul of a poet and Mickey McGuire Jr. is in love with her. Mary Ann Alice is passionately interested in many things, especially the geology of her part of the world. Her teacher, the wonderful Patchy Drizzle, shares her passion for rocks and fossils, many of which can be found along the river and in caves under the famous Paugan Falls.
But a new project to dam the river at Low places rocks, fossils, falls as well as many farms in danger. The dam must go ahead. And, as with much technological change, it brings both benefits and tragedies to the community.
About the Author
Brian Doyle is a four-time winner of the Canadian Library Association's Book of the Year for Children Award. His American honors include being selected for the Horn Book's Fanfare List, the ABA "Pick of the Lists" and the New York Public Library's Best Books for the Teen Age. He has also won the NSK Neustadt Prize, the Phoenix Honor Award, and he has been named a finalist for the Hans Christian Anderson Award. He lives in Chelsea, Quebec.
Awards and Praise
"Doyle at his best - which is very good indeed." — Horn Book, STARRED REVIEW
"...the writing is pretty near perfect, spare and evocative. In Mary Ann Alice, Doyle has created a wonderful hero with an unforgettable voice." — Quill & Quire, STARRED REVIEW
- Short-listed Governor General's Literary Awards: Text, 2001
- Commended Focus Magazine's The "Best 7 Books for April", 2004
- Long-listed Geoffrey Bilson Award for Historical Fiction for Young People, 2002
- Short-listed Sask. Book Awards - Children's Literature, 2002
- Winner Riverbank Review Children's Books w/ Distinction, 2003
- Winner Leishman Prize, 2002
- Long-listed Ruth Schwartz Award, 2002
- Commended Horn Book Fanfare Top Ten List, 2003
- Winner IODE National Chapter Award, 2002
- Long-listed Mr. Christie's Silver Seal Award, 2002