Due to the current situation with COVID-19, House of Anansi Press’s Submittable account has been paused. For the time being, our editorial board will not be able to receive or review any submissions.
Please check this page and our social media feeds for all updates on our submissions process. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
We are continuing to monitor the situation and hope to be reading your works again soon.
Anansi publishes literary fiction, poetry, nonfiction, graphic novels, and crime fiction from Canada and around the world. We publish approximately fifty new books a year, four of which are poetry. We have a roster of talented authors who have previously published with us and continue to produce award-winning and progressive new works.
Anansi publishes literary fiction that has a unique flair, memorable characters, and a strong narrative voice. Anansi fiction writers have read widely, studied their craft, and often have previously published in reputable literary journals and/or magazines.
Anansi is accepting submissions for Spiderline, our crime fiction imprint. Spiderline is dedicated to publishing plot-driven mystery, crime fiction, and psychological thrillers with strong characterizations and vivid atmospheric detail. Established Spiderline series include the Ava Lee novels by Ian Hamilton and the MacNeice Mysteries series by Scott Thornley.
Anansi publishes compelling narrative nonfiction and strong, meticulously researched thesis-driven works. Our nonfiction books avoid dry, jargon-filled academic prose and have a literary twist that will interest general readers and experts alike.
Anansi is accepting submissions for Ambrosia, our food and lifestyle imprint. Ambrosia publishes unique, informative, and imaginative nonfiction about food, art, fashion, and personal growth. Previous Ambrosia titles include Ship to Shore by John Bil and Authenticity by David Posen.
Anansi publishes poets who have already established a strong reputation. Anansi poets usually have had poems previously published in book form or in reputable literary journals and/or magazines.
Please note that Submittable has a cap on the number of submissions Anansi can receive each month. If the Submittable portal reads “There are presently no open calls for submissions,” please try to submit again at the beginning of the next month.
- Consider if your submission is compatible with Anansi’s publishing program. Take the time to look at the titles on our web site.
- Using Submittable, please send us: 1) a cover letter telling us about yourself and your book; 2) a CV indicating your publishing history (if applicable); 3) a brief synopsis of your project; and 4) your full or partial manuscript. Anansi ONLY accepts .docx (Word 2007 or newer), .doc, and .pdf file formats.
- Be patient. Anansi receives dozens of submissions a month and it takes time for them to be read and evaluated. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your submission, and we aim to respond to all submissions within six months.
- Submit religious tracts.
- Send us a submission if you are not a Canadian citizen or resident. Anansi does not accept unsolicited materials from non-Canadian writers.
- Send us your submission as a .pages (Apple Pages) file, an OpenDocument File from OpenOffice and LibreOffice file, or a .zip file.
- Contact us regarding the status of your submission. We keep track of all submissions received.
- Expect feedback. Anansi does not offer editorial comment on manuscripts unless we feel the work has potential for our list.