About this book
JonArno Lawson • Sydney SmithEducator's Guide ↓
Winner of the Governor General's Literary Award for Children's Illustrated Book
A New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book of the Year
In this wordless picture book, a little girl collects wildflowers while her distracted father pays her little attention. Each flower becomes a gift, and whether the gift is noticed or ignored, both giver and recipient are transformed by their encounter.
“Written” by award-winning poet JonArno Lawson and brought to life by illustrator Sydney Smith, Sidewalk Flowers is an ode to the importance of small things, small people and small gestures.
About the Creators
JonArno Lawson’s internationally acclaimed picture book Sidewalk Flowers won the Governor General’s Literary Award and was named a New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Book, among many other accolades. He is a four-time winner of the Lion and the Unicorn Award for Excellence in North American Children’s Poetry and the author of numerous books for children and adults. JonArno lives in Toronto with his wife and three children.
Sydney Smith was born in rural Nova Scotia and has been drawing from an early age. Since graduating from NSCAD University, he has illustrated multiple children?s books, including the highly acclaimed wordless picture book Sidewalk Flowers, conceived by Jon Arno Lawson, which won a Governor General?s Award, was named a New York Times Best Illustrated Children?s Book and has been long-listed for the Kate Greenaway Medal. He is also the illustrator of Grant and Tillie Go Walking by Monica Kulling and The White Cat and the Monk by Jo Ellen Bogart, both highly acclaimed. Sydney has received a number of other awards for his illustrations, including the Lillian Shepherd Memorial Award for Excellence in Illustration. He now lives in Toronto and works in a shared studio space in Chinatown.
Awards and Praise
- Commended NCTE Charlotte Huck Award for Outstanding Fiction for Children, Recommended Book, 2015
- Winner National Cartoonists Society Reuben Award for Book Illustration, 2016
- Short-listed CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal, 2016
- Commended School Library Journal Best Picture Books of the Year, 2015
- Commended Horn Book Fanfare, 2015
- Long-listed Goodreads Choice Award for Best Picture Book, 2015
- Commended New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books of the Year, 2015
- Commended 49th Shelf Favourite Picture Books of the Year, 2015
- Commended IBBY Outstanding Books for Young People with Disabilities, 2017
- Commended ALA Notable Children's Book, 2016