Regular price $9.95 CAD
About this book
A war is raging in Afghanistan as a coalition of Western forces tries to oust the Taliban by bombing the country. Parvana’s father has died, and her mother, sister and brother have gone to a faraway wedding, not knowing what has happened to the father. Parvana doesn’t know where they are. She just knows she has to find them.
She sets out alone, masquerading as a boy, her journey becoming more perilous as the bombs begin to fall. Making her way across the desolate Afghan countryside, she meets other children who are strays from the war — an infant boy in a bombed-out village, a nine-year-old girl who believes she has magical powers over land mines, and a boy with one leg who is so obnoxious that Parvana can hardly stand him. The children travel together because it is easier than being alone. And, as they forge their own family in the war zone that Afghanistan has become, their resilience, imagination and luck help them to survive.
The reissue includes a new cover and map, an updated author’s note and a glossary to provide young readers with background and context. All royalties from the sale of this book will go to Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan. Parvana’s Fund supports education projects for Afghan women and children.
About the Author
Deborah Ellis is a member of the Order of Canada. She has won the University of California’s Middle East Book Award, Sweden’s Peter Pan Prize, the Governor General’s Award, and the Jane Addams Children’s Book Award. She is best known for her Breadwinner series, which has been published in twenty-five languages, with $2 million in royalties donated to Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan and Street Kids International. deborahellis.com
Awards and Praise
- Commended Manitoba Young Reader's Choice Award, 2004
- Long-listed Tiny Torgi Audio, 2004
- Winner Ruth Schwartz Award, 2003
- Commended CLA Book of the Year for Children Award (Honour Book), 2003
- Winner Jane Addams Children's Book Award, 2003
- Long-listed OLA Red Maple Award, 2004
- Commended YALSA BBYA, 2003
- Commended Amazon.ca Top Ten, 2002
- Long-listed Governor General's Literary Award: Text, 2002
- Long-listed Garden State Teen Book AWards (NJLA), 2005