About this book
The White Cat and the Monk
A Retelling of the Poem “Pangur Bán”
Jo Ellen Bogart • Sydney Smith
A monk leads a simple life. He studies his books late into the evening and searches for truth in their pages. His cat, Pangur, leads a simple life, too, chasing prey in the darkness. As night turns to dawn, Pangur leads his companion to the truth he has been seeking.
The White Cat and the Monk is a retelling of the classic Old Irish poem “Pangur Bán.” With Jo Ellen Bogart’s simple and elegant narration and Sydney Smith’s classically inspired images, this contemplative story pays tribute to the wisdom of animals and the wonders of the natural world.
About the Creators
Jo Ellen Bogart
Jo Ellen was born in Houston, Texas, and received degrees in elementary education and psychology from the University of Texas in Austin. Her best-selling children’s books have been nominated for and won many different awards, including the Ruth Schwartz Award, the Mr. Christie’s Book Award, the Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Award. Her picture book Gifts was selected for the TD Grade One Book Giveaway program, as well as the IBBY Honor List. She lives in Guelph, Ontario.
Sydney Smith was born in rural Nova Scotia and has been drawing from an early age. Since graduating from NSCAD University, he has illustrated numerous children’s books, including the highly acclaimed wordless picture book Sidewalk Flowers, conceived by Jon Arno Lawson, which won a Governor General’s Award, among many other honours, and was named a New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Book. He is also the illustrator of Town Is by the Sea by Joanne Schwartz, for which he was awarded the Kate Greenaway Medal, and which won the TD Canadian Children’s Literature Prize. Small in the City is the first picture book that Sydney has written as well as illustrated. He lives and works in Toronto with his wife and son.
Awards and Praise
- Commended Quill & Quire Reviewer Pick, 2016
- Commended CBC Best Books of 2016, 2016
- Commended CCBC Best Books for Children and Teens, starred selection, 2016
- Commended The New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books, 2016
- Commended Bank Street College of Education Best Children's Books of the Year, 2017
- Commended Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices List, 2017
- Short-listed Governor General's Literary Award, Young People's Literature – Illustrated Books, 2016
- Commended USBBY's Outstanding International Books List, 2017
- Commended SLJ's Best of 2016, 2016
- Commended Brain Pickings' Best Children's Books of 2016, 2016